Monday, March 13, 2017

On what I'm reading right now #1

The past few weeks, I’ve been very torn about whether I’d rather spend my time listening to new music or reading new books. Books have seemed to be winning out lately - I’ve finished a ton so far this month. Here’s what I’m working on right now:


  1. I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly & the Family Stone by Jeff Kaliss - I’m trying to read more rock ‘n’ roll histories (as part of a compromise with myself to learn about music while I read books) and this one caught my eye. It was slim, it was about a band I like, but don’t know much about, and it was brand new to my library. I couldn’t resist. I loved Sly’s intro and George Clinton’s preface, but beyond that, nothing about the book has stood out too much yet. I’m enjoying it, but it feels a lot like...every other rock ‘n’ roll history I’ve read - complete with drug abuse, issues with managers/recording companies, fragile egos, and name-dropping famous people. But I am learning interesting things about Sylvester Stewart and about a lot of songs and bands that influenced the group, which I love. I can’t wait to dance to the music with a better understanding of the group that made it.
  2. Slade House by David Mitchell - Several people I follow on Goodreads have given this book outstanding reviews and it finally caught my eye. I’m not very far into it, but I’m loving it so far. It’s just creepy enough and it leaves me guessing, which is an excellent way for any story to start. Also, the writing is absolutely fantastic. I care about the characters much more than I assumed I would - even though, so far, each character has only lasted a short time before meeting an untimely end….
  3. Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams - This has been on my TBR list forever. My public library didn’t carry it, so I put in a suggestion that they get it. Lo and behold, when I went to the library last week, they had a brand-new copy of it and I’m the first person to check it out! It’s nice to see my tax dollars doing something I like. I’m only a few pages in so far, but I’m really excited to finally read this! Adams always makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment