It isn’t easy harboring resentment towards someone else and sometimes, the best way to resolve your feelings is to destroy the person who hurt you.
Okay, I’m not actually advocating for painful and serious avenging. While it can be tough to actually get revenge on someone (not to mention quite unhealthy), revenge plots are lots of fun to hear/read about.
Here are a few books about getting back at someone:
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas - After having his life destroyed, one man gets a second chance at living and the means to get back at those who hurt him earlier.
- The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - A group of thieves must work to save their city - and avenge their friends.
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski - A girl born into nobility purchases a new slave and must suffer the consequences of his vengeance-seeking - and of falling in love.
- Gone Girl by GIllian Flynn - When his wife disappears, one man seeks answers - and finds more than he bargained for.
- True Grit by Charles Portis - After her father dies, one young girl seeks to avenge his death with the help of the local marshall.
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - A boy watches his father be killed by the superhuman beings that rule his world. He dedicates his life to learning more about them and soon finds a group that can help him finally get back at the killer.
And here are a few songs to go with those books:
- “Comeback” - Ella Eyre
- “Before He Cheats” - Carrie Underwood
- “Mariner’s Revenge Song” - The Decemberists
- “Goodbye Earl” - Dixie Chicks
- “Forget You” - Cee Lo Green
What revenge books and songs would you recommend?