Friday, October 13, 2017

On songs that I wish were books

This post was inspired by the Broke and the Bookish.


There are plenty of songs that tell a bit of a story, but not enough of one to satisfy book-lovers like me. Here are a few songs that I wish were books:


  • “The Shankill Butchers” by The Decemberists - A terrifying tale about what the Shankill Butchers do to little kids who don’t listen to their parents. I would totally read this book and it would be chilling.

  • ”Elevator Operator” by Courtney Barnett - This story of a man who just wants to be an elevator operator would be a delightful novella. I’d love to read more details about him giving his tie to a homeless man and talking with the woman in the elevator.

  • Splendor & Misery album by .clipping - I know this album already is a story (it even got nominated for a Hugo Award), but I’d love to read this in book form.

  • ”Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1”  by the Flaming Lips -Who doesn’t want a heroine who battles robots with martial arts? This book would be hilarious and delightful.

  • ”Crawl Out Through the Fallout” by Sheldon Allman - There are plenty of post-apocalyptic love stories, but this would be my favorite book.

  • ”Five Years” by David Bowie - If everyone finds out the world would be ending in five years, what would happen? Bowie addresses it wonderfully in this song, but I’d love to see more details about an individual and their experiences during the last five years of Earth.

  • ”Touch-tone Telephone” by Lemon Demon - I have absolutely no idea what this song is about (except he’s studying UFOlogy), but I think it’d be a hilariously random book.

  • ”If I Were a Pirate Ninja Zombie” by Captain Ambivalent - What would happen if someone was a pirate ninja zombie? Would he finally win her heart? This book would be so sweet and silly.

  • ”Ouija Board” by Morrissey - Boy meets girl. Girl dies. Boy debates using ouija board to call girl? I want to read this horror novel.

  • ”I Love You More Than I Hate My Period” by Say Anything - Stalker fangirls can be kind of funny and also terrifying. I want to read this book about musicians and killer fans.

What songs do you wish were books?

1 comment:

  1. Woah! What an awesome prompt!! I agree, ”I Love You More Than I Hate My Period” by Say Anything would be hilarious!

    I think a lot of the songs by Chris Ross And The North could be books, or at least short stories! His songs are all story driven to begin with :)

    ReplyDelete