Friday, August 18, 2017

On inspiring quotes from writers

As a fellow writer, I understand that every now and then, we don’t need another “How to write supporting characters with depth” article or a guide on world-building. Sometimes, all we need is a kind word from another writer - someone who gets it and is happy to offer their support and advice. Today, I’ve compiled a list of quotes from authors that have helped me throughout my writing adventures:

  • “First drafts are for learning what your novel or story is about.” -Bernard Malamud
  • “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” - Louis L’Amour
  • “Treat all your secondary characters like they think the book’s about them.” - Jocelyn Hughes
  • “Being a writer is like having homework every night for the rest of your life.” - Lawrence Kasdan
  • “I’m writing a first draft and reminding myself that I’m simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles.” - Shannon Hale
  • “You know what I did after I wrote my first novel? I shut up and wrote twenty-three more.” - Michael Connelly
  • “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” - Ernest Hemingway
  • “I wrote my first novel because I wanted to read it.” - Toni Morrison
  • “The writer’s job is to get the main character up a tree, and then once they are up there, throw rocks at them.” - Vladimir Nabokov
  • “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things about all others: read a lot and write a lot.” - Stephen King
  • “If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word.” - Margaret Atwood
  • “Writing is creative, but the guts of it boils down to discipline.” - Susan Duncan
  • “I just give myself permission to suck. I find this hugely liberating.” - John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment