Tuesday, May 30, 2017

May: Best and Strangest

May has been a fun month - I got back into audiobooks, read a LOT of egalleys, and got adjusted to using a new Kindle (which has made it a lot easier to read egalleys and to get new books - though I don’t love the Lending Library so far)! I also decided to start keeping track of where I get my books from - it’s changed quite a bit over the last few months now that I am getting egalleys and audiobooks - there’s little need for me to check out library books these days. I want to see how this changes over time. Also, I’ve been extremely busy getting ready to move, so that has taken a large chunk of my time. In spite of all this, I did manage to read quite a bit this month.

BEST
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
  • On Writing by Stephen King - This guide on writing by one of the more prolific authors in our time is fantastic, entertaining, honest, and incredibly helpful. Anyone with a desire to write and/or publish needs to read this.
The Builders
  • The Builders by Daniel Polansky - This book is a wild west Ocean’s Eleven take on Redwall - and it’s awesome. Dark and yet hilarious, this is an excellent (and fairly short) read for fantasy readers.
Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud: The Rise and Reign of the Unruly Woman

STRANGEST
Detention Land
  • Detention Land by Susan Orion - A boy is stuck in detention endlessly for his recurring crimes. Who is the woman who is always there to talk to him? What are the reasons behind his actions?
    • I didn’t enjoy this book. It wasn’t all that well-written, the plot wasn’t compelling or all that interesting, and I didn’t enjoy the ending at all. The whole story is told either through the boy’s diary or through his conversations with the woman while he’s in detention. It’s slow and uninventive and just strange (and not in a good way - in a discomforting way). I wouldn’t recommend this. It’s slow and strange and I can think of very few people who would enjoy this.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

This month:
Library books: 1
Books I bought: 1
Overdrive Audiobooks: 4
Egalleys: 6
Goodreads Giveaway wins: 1
Amazon Lending Library: 1
Free books on Kindle: 1
Gifts: 1
Borrowed from friend: 0
Book Swapped: 0
Available online: 0
Total: 16



What did you read this month? Anything wonderful? Anything bizarre?

No comments:

Post a Comment