Friday, September 15, 2017

On how to keep learning once you're done with school

Once you’re done with school, it can be a relief to take a break from learning. After a while, however, the smoke will clear and you’ll probably be in a position where you want to keep learning - whether it’s for work, for connection, for fun, whatever. Here are a few ways that you can keep learning once the final bell has rung.

  • Learn a new skill - Take up knitting. Learn to build a bookcase. Fix that old radio your grandfather passed down to you. Learning a new skill may not always translate into a bunch of book learning, but it will give you an opportunity to expand your horizons, find a new hobby, and connect with people who also know (or are learning) this skill. Check out a book to teach you or find a YouTube video to get you started (I learned a lot of my knitting via YouTube)- it’s easy to learn new things if you set your mind to it.
  • Listen to podcasts - There are plenty of podcasts with plenty of information about plenty of topics. Whether you want a podcast with interesting stories, pop culture chit-chat, or new perspectives, you’ll find one that sparks your interest. Check out this list for some podcasts to start on.
  • Read non-fiction on a topic that interests you - Reading is (in my opinion) one of the greatest ways to expand your knowledge. I’ve always had an interest in Gender Issues, but in the past few months, I’ve sought to learn more by reading any non-fiction book I could get my hands on about women’s issues. It’s been fascinating and I’ve learned so much - and I also have plenty of books to recommend to anyone with questions.
  • Follow blogs/news outlets/trade publications - It’s easy to find blogs within your interest - it can be more difficult to keep up on them. You can follow blogs directly or you can do what I do, which is use Feedly to keep track of blogs that interest me. I follow book blogs, knitting blogs, music blogs, genealogy blogs, and news publications that I keep up with every day. It keeps me interested in the world and constantly learning new things.
  • Build your vocabulary - Reading the dictionary is the stereotypical dull activity, so you may want to try a different tactic for learning new words. Pay attention to words and phrases that you aren’t familiar with that people around you use or that come up in your reading. Look them up when you have a minute and pick a new word each week to incorporate into your active vocabulary. You may be surprised at how much bigger the world is when you’re frequently using new words.
  • Take free classes - There are plenty of free classes available through Khan Academy, edX, Open2Study, Coursera, and various universities. There are also tutorials and classes on plenty of topics available on YouTube. Check your local university for discounted classes or free options on campus - my grandmother took several Spanish courses at her local university for $25 a class and was able to write letters in Spanish to my brother while he lived in Peru. A college course is a wonderful thing - even if you aren’t getting college credit.
  • Keep a blog - If you enjoy learning, but often struggle to motivate yourself to keep learning, starting a blog can be a good way to force yourself to continue learning. For me, keeping a book blog motivates me to keep reading and writing - something I needed to get back in the habit of doing as I started graduate school. It also forced me to take a look at what I read and how those books changed or influenced me - a perspective I’ve been grateful for.
  • Network - Do these ways of learning more seem like a bit much or unhelpful to your professional career? If that’s the case, networking can be an excellent way to continue learning. Making connections with people in your field can help direct your studies and open up new learning opportunities for you. For example, a recent training I attended gave me new knowledge about my field and introduced me to an individual who is an expert at what she researches. Our conversations gave me new perspective on my work and on my field and I’m working to learn more about this aspect of my field and apply it to how I work. It’s also given me a new perspective in many of my classes and someone to connect with in my field. Trainings and networking are endlessly useful in a professional world.
  • Talk to people with different experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives - Maybe all these tactics still seem like a lot of effort for you. That’s okay. Expanding your group of friends/contacts can help expand your world as well. I’ve learned bits and pieces of so many things from the people I’ve interacted with. I learned about video game music from a friend of mine who is a composer. I’ve learned about teaching tactics (and American history) from an old roommate who teaches high school history. I’ve learned more than I wanted to know about computer programming from Loverboy. Surrounding yourself with people who have diverse interests, backgrounds, and perspectives expands your world and ideas and gives you easy opportunities to learn more about your world.
  • Join/start a club - Find a local running group to help you learn more about running gear and trends. Join a chess club to become more skilled and find a new group of friends. Start a book club to give you some new reading material and a chance to connect with people in your community. Not only will you make new friends, but you’ll have a chance to geek out about your interests and learn from others in your field.
  • Attend lectures (not just at school) - If taking classes seems like a big commitment for you, that’s okay - plenty of places offer lectures for interested parties. Many bookstores have lectures and book signings from local or big-name authors. Craft stores offer lectures/classes on specific craft skills. Local libraries often host interesting (and bizarre) lecturers. Look around your community for lectures and short classes that interest you.
  • Take field trips - For some folks, sitting down and picking up a book to research something can be dull and make them ansty. For these people, field trips are the way to go. Find interesting places to visit and learn everything you can about them- either from the signs and placards in the area or from doing research beforehand. A few years ago, I read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara before visiting Gettysburg. My research made my trip so much more meaningful and gave new perspective and depth to visiting the site. My dad likes to learn about old legends surrounding National Park sites before he goes camping and hiking at them. Finding a way to use your field trips to learn more can give your traveling a new and interesting edge.
  • Get outside your comfort zone -If you want to learn more, there’s no better way than doing something that pushes you a bit. If online knitting tutorials are something you enjoy and excel at, maybe it’s time to sit in on a knitting circle or take a craft class. If you read a lot, maybe it’s time to join a book club to get reading material you wouldn’t have tried on your own. Whatever you choose to do, don’t be afraid to let your learning make you a better and different person - that’s the ultimate purpose of learning, after all.

If these tips aren’t enough for you, check here, here, here, here, and here for additional thoughts and tips. Happy learning!


What tips would you add to this list? How do you keep learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment