Sunday, April 1, 2018

Best and Strangest: March

This month has been busy - school, work, family, trips out of town. With all that, I haven't had time to do nearly all the reading I've wanted to do (though let's be honest, I never get to do all the reading I want to do). However, I was still able to finish 11 books this month, which isn't a new record or anything, but is still pretty solid. Below are my picks for the best and strangest of the month, followed by all the other books I read in March:


BEST

Alas, Babylon

  • Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - This is a book that I can't believe I'd never heard of until now. It was recommended to me by a friend who grew up in Florida, where the novel is set (she actually grew up 20 or so miles from the town that the story focuses on). I wasn't sure what to expect of it, but I absolutely loved this book. The stories of survival after a nuclear apocalypse made me wonder how I'd survive in such a situation and prompted many interesting discussions with friends who had read it about what would be different today and what benefits we could get from our location. I've had this on my mind for weeks after reading it and that doesn't often happen to me with books. The Cellist of Sarajevo was a fascinating follow-up read.


STRANGEST

Puckoon

  • Puckoon by Spike Milligan - Oh how I love David Bowie. I was delighted at the prospect of #BowieBookClub and I still am thoroughly enjoying, but Bowie and I have wildly different taste in books. Puckoon is full of British/Irish humor and would be bizarre just based on the wild plot (a town is accidentally divided down the middle in the midst of a war), but there are so many small additions that make it worth reading. My favorite part is Dan Milligan, who spends most of the novel being propelled into action by the author and complaining that the author made his legs look weird. If you want a bizarre read, look no further than this.


THE REST OF MARCH'S BOOKS

Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1)
★★★



Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
★★



Wild Bird
★★★


Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
★★★



The Cellist of Sarajevo
★★★



Redwall (Redwall, #1)
★★★★



The Sisters Mederos
★★★



Mormon Feminism: Essential Writings
★★★★



The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists
★★★


What have you read this month? What was your best read? Your strangest read? Have you read any of my March books?

No comments:

Post a Comment