Thursday, June 29, 2017

June: Best and Strangest

Ah! I’m so glad June is almost over. This month, I loved across the country AND started graduate school, so it’s been hectic. I think we’re finally unpacked and that I’m finally adjusted to being back in school. That being said, June has been crazy and I haven’t read nearly as much as I’d like to - at least not for fun. Graduate school involves a lot of reading - textbooks and articles especially. So while I have gotten a few books read, there aren’t as many to pick from in my summary as I had hoped for. The fun part of reading for school is that I’ve had to read a few books that I probably normally wouldn’t have tried out and I’ve been exposed to a lot of topics that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. So hurrah for school! And reading new and interesting books and topics!
With all that in mind, here are this month’s best and strangest:

BEST
Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb - I’ve been meaning to pick up a Robin Hobb book for ages and I finally got ahold of this one and IT WAS SO COOL. Magical ships and pirates and family drama and romance - this book has a bit of everything and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m so excited to try out the next book in the series. Highly recommended for pirate lovers and fantasy readers.
Dune (Dune #1)
  • Dune by Frank Herbert - In an effort to enhance my knowledge of classic sci-fi, I finally got around to reading this and I’m certainly glad I did. Not only is the world-building fantastic, but it’s an interest story and a unique one. I’m now trying to build a D&D campaign that’s loosely based on this book, so that will be interesting. Recommended for sci-fi lovers (slash why haven’t you read this yet?!)
The Year of Magical Thinking
  • The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion - I read this for a class and it really resonated with me. Didion shares her experience of the year following her husband’s death. She talks about other difficulties in her life and how she confronted her own grief and how the people around her were both helpful and harmful to her grieving process. It was a fascinating and very honest book and I’ve been thinking about it a lot since I finished it. Recommended for those who work with grieving individuals or who are working through their own grief.

STRANGEST
Vibrator Nation: How Feminist Sex-Toy Stores Changed the Business of Pleasure
  • Vibrator Nation: How Feminist Sex-Toy Stores Changed the Business of Pleasure by Lynn Comella - I didn’t read very many odd books this month that were worth mentioning -books I read were either exactly what I expected or were different, but in a boring way. This book was fascinating and not exactly what I expected, so I loved it. Comella shares her research of the first feminist sex-toy stores and how these stores both influenced attitudes and policies about sex. She also shares the strange and sometimes game-changing business practices of some of these stores and how they started a revolution in sex-toy shopping. This book was so serious and informational while still being about something that made me giggle a bit. I wanted so badly to tell everyone about all the interesting things I was learning in this book, but striking up a conversation with your dad about the development of high-quality vibrators doesn’t always seem comfortable. I highly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in feminism or in sex-positive literature.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS


Library books: 0
Books I bought: 3
Overdrive Audiobooks: 1
Egalleys: 5
Goodreads Giveaway wins: 0
Amazon Lending Library: 0
Free books on Kindle: 0
Gifts: 0
Borrowed from friend: 0
Book Swapped: 0
Available online: 1
Total: 10

What have you read this month? What was the best book you read? The strangest? Have you read any of the books I read this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment