Monday, June 12, 2017

On TBR books that intimidate me #4

There are so many different books in the world. Too many books sometimes. It’s a struggle because I want to read ALL OF THEM. But there isn’t enough time, so my TBR grows and grows and I just sit and watch it, helpless. I could read more books from it, but something stops me from reading some of them. Here are a few that I’m scared to read:
  • The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolfe - I read the first half of this book about a year ago before I ran out of time and had to return it to the library, so it remains on my TBR. I liked it….but it was a chore to get through and didn’t hold my interest for more than 30 minutes at a time. I’d like to try it again, but do I start in the middle? Will I even remember where I left off? Do I start over? Do I really want to put myself through this again? So many questions - and I have no answers.
  • Autobiography by Morrissey - I’m a diehard Smiths fan. But Morrissey is a princess. And I don’t know how much of him I can take before throwing up my hands and saying he isn’t worth my adoration. I’ve heard that this book is a rambling mess, but I feel kind of obligated to read it as a fan. Maybe it’ll just stay on my TBR forever - we’ll see if I can ever summon the strength to withstand Morrissey’s princess-ness.
  • Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay - This book looks so intriguing. But I know a lot of people with eating disorders and reading books like this can be difficult for me. Important, but difficult. If it’s a good book, I feel like throwing it at everyone I think could benefit from it. If it’s a lame book, I hate it more than I normally would because it doesn’t meet my expectations and it doesn’t cover the topic the way I wanted it to.


Are any of these worth confronting my fears? What books are you scared to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment