Friday, March 2, 2018

The Friday 56 and Book Beginnings #3

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


No Country for Old Men

In his blistering new novel, Cormac McCarthy returns to the Texas-Mexico border, setting of his famed Border Trilogy. The time is our own, when rustlers have given way to drug-runners and small towns have become free-fire zones. 

One day, Llewellyn Moss finds a pickup truck surrounded by a bodyguard of dead men. A load of heroin and two million dollars in cash are still in the back. When Moss takes the money, he sets off a chain reaction of catastrophic violence that not even the law–in the person of aging, disillusioned Sheriff Bell–can contain.

As Moss tries to evade his pursuers–in particular a mysterious mastermind who flips coins for human lives–McCarthy simultaneously strips down the American crime novel and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning’s headlines. 
No Country for Old Men is a triumph.


Book Beginnings: I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville. One and only one. My arrest and my testimony. I went up there and visited with him two or three times. Three times. The last time
was the day of his execution.

The Friday 56: I need another room.

You want to change rooms or you want another one besides the one you've got?

I want to keep the one I got and get another one.

All right.



What are you reading this week? Have you read anything by Cormac McCarthy? What are the most ridiculous quotes you've seen from these memes so far this week?

14 comments:

  1. I saw the movie and thought it was great. I didn't even realize it was based on a book! Are you enjoying it?


    Jo-Ann at Inspiration PIe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very uniquely written book. I'm enjoying the story, but the writing is tough. I haven't seen the movie yet - I'll have to add it to my list!

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite movies of all time! :-) Never read the book though. I should, it's probably better. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend the book! It's an interesting story - I hope you get around to reading it!

      Delete
  3. Sounds a little too gritty for me, although I do love the Texas-Mexico border setting.
    My Friday post features Mrs. Polifax Mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an intense book, but the setting is lovely.

      Delete
  4. I particularly enjoyed this one! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I did too - though it was kind of bizarre.

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting. I've heard of the author but not read him. This week I have Better Off Read by Nora Page. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend his book The Road - I enjoyed that more than No Country for Old Men. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Interesting. I've heard the title but haven't read it. I like how spare and straightforward the writing style is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was sometimes difficult to fully understand what was going on, but I really enjoyed it overall!

      Delete