Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Bookish Q&A tag!

I saw this post over at Charis Rae and immediately got thinking about how I'd answer each question. I've got a lot of thoughts, so here we go!



  • What books do you remember reading that kick-started your bookworm habit? 
I have a lot of books that got me started reading, but two really come to mind as getting me interested in fantasy and helping me realize how much fun reading could be - A Wrinkle in Time and Dealing with Dragons. Both star young heroines who learn to be independent and stand on their own. A Wrinkle in Time was recommended to me by my mom and it helped me really appreciate what a huge reader she is and trust her taste in books. Dealing with Dragons was one of the first chapter books I read and I found it on my own at the public library -and quickly devoured the entire series. I can hardly remember most of the plot, but I will always hold that series dear for how it influenced me.

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)  Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)


  • What genres do you normally choose?
I'm a lover of fantasy and women's issues. Fantasy with strong, independent women are the best kinds. While I read a lot of odds and ends, fantasy will always be my ultimate favorite genre. I've also been growing to love science fiction and contemporary novels about difficult issues. 

  • Do you eat while you read and if yes, what exactly?
I don't usually eat while I read, but I will if I'm reading during a meal or if I get hungry while reading. I had a job for a while that allowed me lunch breaks alone in my office, so I'd eat lunch while I read. While I'm at home, I usually read during mealtimes when I'm home alone. I also drink a lot of tea while reading -  making a cup of tea is a relaxing and quick break from a book.

  • Are there any scenes from your favorite novels that you remember vividly?
Oh, where do I start? There are a lot of good books to consider.

Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus  The Things They Carried  Love Among the Walnuts: Or How I Saved My Entire Family from Being Poisoned  

Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles, #5)  Flowers for Algernon


  • Are there any least favorites?
I try not to waste blogspace and time talking about books I don't like, so I'll keep this short. I don't like unrealistic and mean characters and I have little patience for plot inconsistencies.

  • So as you're a bookworm, what are you currently reading today?
I have a couple books that I've been working through for a bit that I'm really intrigued by - Guards! Guards! and Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest. Loverboy and I have been reading a lot of fantasy to each other and, while it's so much fun, it certainly takes awhile and we won't be finishing Guards! Guards! anytime soon. I've also been on a bit of a religiosity kick during 2018, so I'm reading a book comparing Catholic and Mormon doctrine (at the suggestion of a formerly Catholic friend who is now Mormon). I'm excited to be expanding my worldview a bit by gaining more understanding of people's beliefs.

Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)  Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest


  • What do you plan to read next?
This is a tough question. As I write this, the May #BowieBookClub read hasn't been announced yet, so I'll be waiting on that. I've decided that it's time I finally read The Fellowship of the Ring - how dare I call myself a fantasy reader if I haven't even tried LOTR! My next church book club read (that I haven't gotten to yet) is Before We Were Yours, but I'm still waiting on that from the library (it's a very popular book right now), so I probably won't read that for a bit. I'm also wanting to keep reading Ursula Le Guin, so I'm hoping to get my hands on The Tombs of Atuan soon.

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)  Before We Were Yours  The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)

  • Have you got a large bookshelf or do you plan to?
I currently have one medium bookshelf, one large bookshelf, and one small bookshelf (that functions as a nightstand). Since I keep some things besides books on shelves (pictures, D&D miniatures, boxes, etc), there isn't enough room for all the books I have - which is such a pity. I recently went to a home where there was a wall that was entirely covered in bookshelves. That is now my dream when I have a place big enough and enough books to fill the shelves. SOMEDAY.

  • Do you like Indie or Traditional books better?
I tend to like traditional books better - mostly because I can more easily trust that they'll be high-quality and well-edited and make sense. I've read some really wonderful indie books, but you have to sift through a lot of crap before you can get around to quality, while I know most traditional books I pick up will be someone's favorite.

  • And lastly, what's your favorite and least favorite parts of the book community?
I have a really hard time connecting with publishers and that has been very frustrating for me. While I really appreciate when people have reached out to me to read their ARCs, it's so difficult to actually get a copy because 1) people take years to respond to emails and 2) it feels like there's so much unnecessary stuff to sort out before I can get the ARC that the publisher contacted me about (like if you want me to read the book, why are you being so difficult?!).

But I've loved how welcoming and sweet the bookish community is. Overall, it's a very positive space and everyone is so excited to share blogging tips and book recommendations. I've really loved getting to be part of it and being exposed to all sorts of books I wouldn't have heard of otherwise!




What books did you enjoy as a child? What do you love and hate about the bookish community? Traditional or indie books? How many bookshelves do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment